Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Words and voices

Words.

Words words words.

I get so sick of them.

Incomplete, misleading, substanceless...

Incredibly versatile.

Able to form any argument regardless of reason.

But I like voices.

Lyrical tones unique as fingerprints.

Rhythm, cadence, pitch, and emphasis say more about a person than the structure of their words.

Voice...

It's my own voice that echos ceaselessly in my head.

Grown seasick upon my own rhythms.

Finishing my own thoughts before I have them.

I wonder... is all life in service to a voice?

Do we find meaning in this?

The voice of family... the voice of God or country... our own voice, if we find it so entertaining.

I do not.

For all the good words I surround myself with, my life lacks any voice other than my own.

It isn't enough.

No comments: