Thursday, June 24, 2010

Internet videos - the party killer

This is a public service announcement.

I know that internet videos are awesome. They allow our atrophied attention span to view things that are too weird, particular, offensive, or just awesome to show up on TV or in the movies. They make a work day go so much faster and I love to receive them in my mail box.

But there is something that needs to be said and acknowledged:

Internet videos can be a real buzz kill.

We have all been there. We are having a good time at a party or casual get-together and someone says, "Oh, you have to check out this awesome video!" Suddenly time slows down as everyone else in the room start to get anxious. They don't really want to see the video, no matter how awesome or funny, but they don't want to be a dick. Someone gets on the computer and the conversation goes to a dead stop as they try to remember how to find the video on a message board or blog that they frequent. When you finally see the video, you are practicing your phoney appreciation for when he asks you what you've thought. You don't want to make the person feel bad, but two minutes ago you were in a good mood and now that mood is gone.

Don't get me wrong. I've been that guy. I have shown the video that no one appreciated but me. I've also shown videos that amazed people. But its a gamble.

Sometimes what is funny in your cubicle at 11 AM isn't funny around your friends at 9 PM. Sometimes you don't have the objectivity to realize that the video is specific to your interests.

Generally speaking, I'd say it is good advice not to show people internet videos in person. If the thought occurs to you while at a party, e-mail it to them the next day. Chances are it will be much better received.

No comments: